Friday, January 4, 2008

In Progress.







In my sketchbook, I started toying with stacking some of the things I like to paint.











I cleaned it up a little, on the ferry. (I could only find a red ballpoint in the car.)











I moved the chair and got rid of the cup, to balance the straight horizontal lines with the rounded objects.
After this, it was time to set up the real objects under the lights to draw the chair legs, bone, spoon and the top of the salt shaker.







It's a little harder for me to stay engaged when a painting is this pre-planned. In my head, it's already finished, and I'm just repainting what I imagined. The "rebus" paintings stay open to change throughout the process. Here I've started to lay in the clouds.






Here's the first rough grisaille. I've been making it up as I go, without references. After I sketch in some grass, I'll set up the objects and do a more refined grisaille from life.










Working on this one is fun again. The trees and their refraction through the salt shaker were a surprise, as was the detail on the apple skin. 

Now it has to dry a few days before I glaze on the color.

No comments: